- AWARD WINNING brown gluten free bread mix that tastes like ‘proper’ bread
- Handmade with 100% organic high-quality ingredients
- Mix contains potato flour, tapioca flour & flaxseed flour
- Small makes 1 loaf or 6 rolls
- Large makes 2 loaves or 12 rolls
- Bake at home in 4 easy steps (suitable for most bread machines)
- Completely gluten free, wheat free, dairy free & preservative free
- Certified by Coeliac UK and The Vegan Society
- Suitable for Vegans (use more water for the same great taste)
- 10% discount applied to multipacks
Brown – Gluten Free Organic Bread Mix
Out of stock
Gluten free brown bread that tastes like ‘proper’ bread
Who doesn’t love brown bread? Think crusty brown rolls dipped into a warm winter soup. Tasty brown toast adorned with ruby red jam. Soft and sumptuous slices with juicy ripe tomatoes, drizzled with the finest olive oil. You really can’t beat it (unless you prefer white bread, in which case you probably can). Here at Grass Roots Bakery, we believe that everyone should be able to enjoy gluten free bread that tastes just like (or even better than) real bread. Our wheat free, gluten free, and preservative free organic brown bread mix means no matter whether you suffer from coeliac disease or have a wheat intolerance, you really can have your sandwich, and, well, eat it!
100% organic brown bread mix, handmade in our AOECS certified bakery
Alongside all the heart and soul that naturally goes into every batch we make, we use a mixture of organic potato, tapioca, and flaxseed flours, and a pinch of extraordinary science to ensure that each handmade brown bread mix is delivered to your door, perfect and ready to roll (sorry).
It’s not just the endless combinations of scrumptious sandwiches that make our gluten free brown bread mix a customer favourite. We’ve specially designed this mix to be enjoyed with and without egg – making it suitable for Vegans. We promise the method of baking without egg leaves you with the same delicious gluten free brown bread that tastes just as good as it should.
Baking your wheat free brown bread is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4
Literally. Just add oil and water (or an egg if you like), mix, prove, and bake. Then take some pictures to show all your Instagram friends and tag us to show us your beautiful bread. Which makes 5 steps! If you haven’t got time for all that, just mix the ingredients together and let your bread maker do the hard work.
Remember, for the best results leave your bread to cool completely before tucking in. This is the hardest part about baking our coeliac brown bread, but it’s worth it, as this bread forms its crust as it cools. This is the same rule that applies to all our other wonderful gluten free products.
Our brown bread mix is available to buy in two pack sizes
- Small (280g) which makes 6 delicious rolls or 1 loaf
- Large (560g) for 12 crusty rolls or 2 loaves
Best of all, this brown gluten free bread mix can be doubled up for big batches, perfect for those special events. If you’re stocking up, our 3 and 6 bag multipacks come with a 10% discount automatically applied – that’s our little way of saying thank you for buying from our growing family business. Once baked, this gluten free bread is perfect for freezing, so don’t worry if you can’t eat it all in one go (although, like us, you probably will).
At the moment, our lovely brown bread mix comes in a kraft polyethylene bag which is not recyclable. We’re not happy about it and are on the lookout for a new way to package our mixes that are more environmentally friendly. However, for the moment, it’s the best way to ensure that your brown bread mix stays fresh for up to 12 months.
We think this bread mix is head and shoulders above any other gluten free bread brand
This means we stop at nothing to ensure our bread is the best it can be. But, don’t just take our word for it. We’re proud to list the awards this mix has won:
- Great Taste Award 1 ★ 2018 & 2019
- Bronze Medal at the Free From Awards 2019
- Shortlisted for the Best Of Organic Market Awards 2019 & 2017
Brown bread not your thing? Try our award-winning white gluten free bread mix.
Suitable for Vegans – simply omit the egg for an extra 30ml of water.
- Add the bread mix into a large mixing bowl and add 250ml of tepid water (100ml boiling water, 150ml cold water)
- Add 1 egg (or an extra 30ml of water if you’re baking Vegan) and a dessert spoon of sunflower or olive oil
- Using an electric whisk, combine slowly and then increase speed until the bread mixture is a thick, smooth batter
- Cover the bowl and leave to prove for 40 minutes, just like a normal dough
- Preheat your fan oven to 180°C or 200°C for non-fan ovens (400 °F / Gas 6)
- Gently stir the risen bread mixture until it drops by a third
- Spoon out equal rounds directly onto a baking sheet covered with baking parchment, or transfer to a 2lb loaf tin
- Bake for 60 minutes (for an extra crusty loaf, add a further 5mins)
- Remove and cool completely on a wire rack – this bit is really important as this bread forms its crust whilst it cools!
- Enjoy & let us know what you think.
Here is a ‘how-to’ video guide to baking our brown gluten free bread mix (non-Vegan)
Typical values per 100g
Energy (kj) 1460
Energy (kCal) 350
Fat (g) 5.7
of which saturates 1.0
of which sugars (g) 3.0
Fibre (g) 4.0
Protein (g) 14.2
Salt (g) 1.8
Ingredients: organic potato flour, organic tapioca flour, organic flaxseed flour, sugar, yeast*, fine sea salt*, xanthan gum*
*denotes permitted non-organic ingredients.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.